Two workshops from this Stimulating Physics Network Link School.
We’ll cover the standard topics such as how we see things, pinhole camera, reflection (specular and diffuse), refraction, lenses, images. We’ll also consider ways to enhance these topics by;
• converting the pinhole camera to a lens camera,
• setting up a Pepper’s ghost demonstration,
• the role of refractive index in seeing things and how some objects can be made ‘invisible’.
• Practical activities to produce and locate images and to improve understanding of image formation.
• Using string diagrams.
Considering them as a continuous spectrum, with emphasis on;
• links to what students already know (such as visible light spectrum, colour)
• properties which are common to all.
• similarities between waves in adjacent sections of the spectrum.
• practical activities to enhance this topic which can sometimes be delivered in a rather dry and theoretical manner.