Do you want to write successful funding proposals then this workshop is for you. At this workshop the IOP will be launching the new guide 'Navigating the funding landscape'. It has been designed for researchers who are currently working towards a PhD or on fixed-term postdoctoral research contracts.
You will hear first hand from researchers who have been awarded funding, senior academics who review proposals, and representatives from the Research Councils who develop and manage research funding schemes.
These expert speakers will share advice for early career researchers and help you to
• Identify the best funding for your career stage and ideas
• Understand what funders expect and need to see in applications
• Write convincing applications
• React positively to reviewers
• Perform strongly at interview
The event will also be an opportunity to network with other early career physicists and the speakers and to learn more about other IOP support.
Outline of the programme:
- Navigating the Funding Landscape – an introduction to the new guide from the IOP
- Who funds Physics? An overview of the key funding opportunities and their characteristics
- Research Council funding – insights from the key funders for physics in the UK (EPSRC confirmed - Dr James Dracott and Dr Yalini - Brhanavan, portfolio managers for Physics, STFC TBC)
- What could I do as a PhD student? Advice from a former PhD student on the opportunities available and benefits of engaging (Dr Anne Pawsey confirmed)
- The path to fellowship. Advice from a fellowship awardee about how to use your postdoctoral time effectively
- What reviewers do and what they need from applicants – insights from a senior physicist on the review process and how to improve your chances of a positive review
- How panels work and advice for fellowship interviews – advice from a senior physicist on how decisions are made in panels and what to expect at a fellowship interview
- Fellowship interview workshop – a short workshop which gives you the chance to experience a fellowship interview
- The importance of mentoring and how to find a mentor
- What makes a winning proposal – a summary of the key advice and a checklist for your next application
To attend this event, please click here to register: https://www.iopconferences.org/iop/782/register