The Cavendish was opened in 1874, under the direction of James Clerk Maxwell, as the Laboratory of Physics at the University of Cambridge, one of the first teaching laboratories in England. Research in the Cavendish has led to a number of the most important discoveries in physics including JJ Thomson’s discovery of the electron (1897), the Cloud Chamber invented by CTR Wilson (1895 – 1913), Rutherford’s discovery of artificial nuclear fission (1919), discovery of the neutron by James Chadwick (1932), first controlled nuclear disintegrations using a particle accelerator designed by J Cockcroft and E Walton, Lawrence Bragg’s development the use of X-ray crystallography as a powerful tool for understanding the structure of biological molecules (1938), the determination of the double-helix structure of the DNA molecule by F Crick and J Watson (1952), and the discovery of neuron stars as the parent bodies of pulsars by A Hewish and J Bell-Burnell in 1968.
No car parking on site. Refreshments are available from 10.30.
Email email@example.com for a booking form.